Wednesday 2 March 2011

Steampunk Lens Pendant


I have altered this optical lens by stamping the image directly onto the back of the lens. I have then layered on reclaimed pocket watch parts onto the front before adding a layer of Ice Resin to capture all the little parts in place.
When the resin had set hard I flipped it over and repeated over the back covering the image and adding a couple more little watch parts and a metal domed number so it has a nice layered effect from the front.
The Image is from one of the new Crafty Individual plates I recently received. As soon as I saw this image I just knew it would fit perfectly onto an optical lens.
I started this about 2 weeks ago and I had a problem with the resin setting, I think I must have got to blase with the mixing and not being precise enough so this has been a lesson to me to be really careful to get the quantities right or else you have to wait ages for it to set solid.
The image is from the plate CI - 305. I think this is a very versatile plate and I have used it for a few things I have yet to blog.
I drilled a hole to take a jump ring through to top of the lens so this could be used as a pendant.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so clever - I really must treat myself to ice resin and take the plunge

Traceyr said...

wooo hoo how fantastic to have an optical lens to alter. What a great job you have done of it too.

:)

Eiglas said...

Just love all of your stuff Ginger - so.....oooh I can't think of the right word but good, in a very cool way!
Hugs
Eiglas
x